Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 2 cups dried spelt
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 pounds winter squash, any variety (such as kabocha or butternut), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds (or toasted pine nuts)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a medium saucepot, combine spelt, a pinch of salt and about 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until spelt is tender but still a little chewy. Drain in a colander, set aside.
- Meanwhile, place cubed squash on a sheet pan (you can cover the pan with parchment paper for easier cleanup). Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using your hands or a spatula, toss squash to evenly coat it with olive oil. Place in oven and cook for about 50 minutes. Remove squash from heat, sprinkle with minced shallot and use a spatula to toss the squash with the shallot and to turn squash pieces over. Return to oven and cook for an additional 15 minutes, until squash is soft and starting to brown. Do not allow squash to get crispy. Remove from oven, allow to cool on pan about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cider vinegar, maple syrup and Dijon mustard, stir with a whisk. Whisking constantly, drizzle in remaining 1/4 cup olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked spelt, roasted squash, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and thyme, stir to combine. Drizzle with cider vinaigrette and stir to combine completely. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve slightly warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
This Spelt and Roasted Squash Salad serves 6 to 8 people as a side dish.
For More healthy food recipes visit http://theworldmosthealthyfoodsrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/10/workd-most-healthy-foods-recipes-index.html
For the world most healthy foods visit http://healthy-foods-index.blogspot.com/2011/03/healthy-foods-list.html