Buckwheat and sprouts khichdi, is light on the stomach, yet filling and nourishing. The aroma of this khichdi is irresistible, as it has been cooked with an appropriate selection of spices. Moong dal and sprouts are a good source of protein, making this a very healthy and wholesome choice for pregnant women. Buckwheat is commonly called as kutto or kutti no daro – in case you have any trouble making your local grocer understand!Preparation Time:
Makes 6 servings
1/3 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
1/2 cup buckwheat (kutto or kutti no daro)
1/2 cup mixed sprouts
2/3 tsp oil
1 1/3 pcs black peppercorns (kalimirch)
2/3 to 1 1/3 pcs cloves (laung / lavang)
1/3 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/8 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1/8 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
salt to taste
1. Clean and wash the moong dal and buckwheat together. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the peppercorns, cloves and cumin seeds.
3. When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, moong dal and buckwheat and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the turmeric powder, sprouts, salt and approx. 4 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
5. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Serve hot with kadhi