- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons vindaloo curry powder
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- salt to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the ginger, and cook until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the onions, cauliflower, and carrots. Cook and stir until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vindaloo powder and tomato paste until no lumps of tomato paste remain. Stir in the coconut milk, vegetable broth, and garbanzo beans. Gently fold in the tofu and mushrooms, and season to taste with salt. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally as the vindaloo cooks.