Total Prep And Cook Time: 4 Hours
Printable Recipe: Click the print button in your browser to print JUST the recipe
Bean Cooking Ingredients
- 1 c. dried pinto bean (or any other bean)
Bean Cooking Directions
- Sort and clean the dried beans
- Soak the beans in boiling water for 1 - 2 hours, or 6 - 12 hours in cold water, until they're doubled in size and wrinkle free - soaking time varies with the bean
- Drain and rinse the soaked beans
- Place in medium saucepan, cover with cold unsalted water
- Bring to boil uncovered, boil for ten minutes. Skim the foam off the beans with a ladle or large flat spoon
- Cover and simmer the beans for 1 - 2 hours
- OR cook 8 minutes at high pressure in a pressure cooker
- Slow cooker or crockpot: Add the beans, cover and turn the heat to low. Cooking time will vary with the bean, but six hours in the crockpot on low is about right for pinto beans
Helpful Bean Cooking Hints
- Keep in mind that the soaking and cooking time will vary for each kind of bean
- They've had enough soaking when they've doubled in size and have no wrinkles
- The larger and harder the bean, the longer the soak. Garbanzo beans and kidney beans take 12 hours, but black eyed peas soak 4 hours
- Beans have cooked long enough when they're completely soft. Lentils can be a little firmer.
- Beans must be cooked without salt or they'll be tough, but a little salt helps lentils to cook with skins intact.
- Slow cooking is an excellent way to cook beans, but be sure to boil them & skim the foam before putting in the slow cooker or crockpot
- Same goes for pressure cooking. If you do use a pressure cooker, consult a bean cooking chart for cooking times
Healthy Food For Busy People, 151 Page Cookbook
With Over 100 Easy To Make Healthy Meals.