Never been a fan? This savory, easy-to-make salad might change your mind:
Healthy Broccoli Salad
- 1 bunch broccoli (cut into florets)
- 2 bunches green onions (diced)
- 1 cup non-fat mayonnaise (nonfat if desired)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- 8 oz. crumbled Feta cheese
- 12-15 black olives (cut in half)
- Bibb or romaine lettuce
- Wash and prepare broccoli and green onions. Set aside.
- Mix together mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour over vegetables.
- Add Feta cheese and olives.
- Toss well and place in refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Serve on lettuce leaves on chilled plates.
If you prefer your broccoli cooked, remember that when cooked it should be crisp and bright, and just tender enough that you can pierce the stalks with a sharp knife. Steaming and microwaving preserve more nutrients, but you also can cook it in boiling water. The florets tend to cook much faster than the stalks, but it's easy to avoid it being overcooked if you cut an X in the bottom of each stalk, or split the stalks about halfway up, before cooking. Another method is to cut off the florets, adding them to the cooking pot after the stalks have cooked for two or three minutes.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/956273