Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Grammy's Pepper Cabbage and Coleslaw

 By

This recipe has been passed down generations in our family. My Grandmother gave it to me and she got it from her Mother. There are a lot of similar recipes but I have not tasted one exactly like this one. It goes great with any meal. I also like the fact that it keeps a long time. You can make it ahead of time if you are having company. Our family always had coleslaw at a family dinner. At the end of this recipe I will give you another recipe for coleslaw with a homemade dressing that is very different. It is like an old fashion homemade mayonnaise - it was also passed down from my Grandmother.
1 head cabbage
1 cup diced celery
1 cup green pepper
1 onion
Dressing:
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
Chop cabbage finely (I use my food processor), dice celery, green pepper and onion. Mix together well. Make dressing and pour over cabbage mixture. This pepper cabbage will keep at least a month. You can also freeze it.
Old Fashion Coleslaw
2 eggs well beaten
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons sugar
Mix well and cook till thick. While it is cooling shred your head of cabbage. Mix well your cabbage and dressing. Usually I have to make of double recipe as my head of cabbage is so big. This coleslaw was a family favorite for Christmas and Thanksgiving. The dressing you can make a few days ahead of time them all you have to do is mix the cabbage and dressing before serving.
Cabbage is good for you and can be used in many different ways. I prepare boiled cabbage for my husband quite a bit. He is always watching his weight and I try to come up with ideas for healthy cooking. Have you ever tried Paula Deen's house seasoning? We got some when we were in Savannah and visited her restaurant and took her tour. I use this on cabbage and green beans. It has a lot of different seasoning in it that just gives vegetable a good flavor. The mixture they have put together is very tasty. I also add a piece of cut of bacon for flavor and sometimes a little onion. Hope this gives you some things to try and experiment with and see if you enjoy it as mush as we do.
Hope you enjoy these old family recipes.
Happy cooking!
If you are interested in healthy cooking check my web site http://www.healthygoodcook.com for more ideas and recipes. I will be adding more recipes every week so keep watching my site. If you have any question you can email me Jan@healthygoodcook.com

Natural Juicing Recipes
Secret To A Vibrant And Healthy Lifestyle
Made From Fresh Fruits And Vegetable Recipes

For More healthy food recipes visit http://theworldmosthealthyfoodsrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/10/workd-most-healthy-foods-recipes-index.html

For the world most healthy foods visit http://healthy-foods-index.blogspot.com/2011/03/healthy-foods-list.html
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jan_B_Soukup

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6947167

No comments:

Post a Comment