Saturday, April 7, 2012

Carrot Salad Recipe: Russian-Korean Carrot Salad (A Vegan Recipe)

Here is a very simple and easy carrot salad that you can throw together at the last minute and take to that potluck party. Or if you find yourself with too many people showing up for a meal and need more food, this can round out your selection. Carrots are cheap and nutritious, and even kids like them. Here is my vegan recipe for Russian-Korean Carrot Salad.
There's an amusing story behind this recipe. Several years ago, our family took a trip together. My siblings, parents, and two of my mother's sisters all journeyed abroad on a cruise of the Scandinavian area of the world, to countries like Norway, Sweden, and Finland.
One of the stops was in Russia, where we took a personal tour that included lunch in a Russian family's house. I know that the best food is often home-cooked food, so I was excitedly anticipating this part of our trip.
The woman and her son lived in their small apartment. She cooked us a delicious meal of borscht, blini with caviar, and other things I have since forgotten about. She was also kind enough to specially make some borscht for me, without the beef broth, and a carrot salad without animal ingredients, so I'd have enough to eat.
I loved both dishes, and the salad was unusual enough, that I asked if I could have the recipe. She took me into her kitchen and dug a box out of the garbage can. She had used a mix! Even more interesting, the mix was from Korea. I recognized the Hangul on the label.
I was able to write down the ingredients and come home to develop a reasonable facsimile of the salad. It is always well received at potlucks and blends well with any type of food. Here's the recipe:
Russian-Korean Carrot Salad
6 cups grated carrots
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
3 Tablespoons oil
Mix all ingredients together. Chill.
I tried grating the carrots by hand...once. My arm got so sore, I regretted it and never did it again. Instead, I opt for a food processor. Cut the carrots into pieces about 3 inches long or so, enough to fit into the feeder of your food processor.
And another tip: I never peel my carrots. I don't see why I should. I buy organic and wash them. More fiber and nutrients for those eating it; less work for me. Hey, I'm practical!
Give this vegan Russian-Korean Carrot Salad recipe a try. It's a nice addition to any meal and has a nice mix of salty, sweet, sour, and spicy and will catch people's interest.
Want more recipes?
Find more vegan recipes and vegetarian and vegan cooking tips at http://almostveganinparadise.wordpress.com

Natural Juicing Recipes
Secret To A Vibrant And Healthy Lifestyle
Made From Fresh Fruits And Vegetable Recipes

For More healthy food recipes visit http://theworldmosthealthyfoodsrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/10/workd-most-healthy-foods-recipes-index.html

For the world most healthy foods visit http://healthy-foods-index.blogspot.com/2011/03/healthy-foods-list.html
 

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Alina_Niemi

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5634570

1 comment:

  1. If you are interested in having your old car removed or scraped, the first step is to look into some good scrap car removal companies in Melbourne. These companies are easily found on the internet, and they can provide fast, professional service. To start with, when you give them an estimate, this will include the fee they will charge to remove your car for you
    skip bin hire brisbane

    ReplyDelete