You'll also find onion soup served during other long nights of eating and revelry in France. It is supposed to have restorative properties, giving you the strength to continue with la fete.
No need to get married or stay up all night long though to enjoy this excellent soup. With it's French bread and cheese topping, it makes a satisfying meal just by itself, perfect for any winter night.
Here are a few tips for making perfect French onion soup and then the recipe itself:
- The one essential step in making a good onion soup is to take your time in cooking the onions. It can take more then half an hour to get the necessary caramelization that gives this French onion soup recipe all of its good taste. Since you have to stir the onions frequently to keep them from browning, it is a good idea to have something else to do in the kitchen at the same time. You can clean up and set the table for example.
- Usually the soup is served into individual oven proof bowls then topped with the bread and cheese before baking, but there is no need to go out and buy a bunch of new equipment if you just want to try this for a first time. Simply bake the soup in any oven proof dish and then serve from that. The effect will be a little different, but the taste will still be excellent.
- In France this French onion soup recipe is normally made with Gruyere cheese, but you may not be able to find that, so Swiss cheese is a good substitute
French Onion Soup Recipe
Soupe à l'oignon
- 2 pounds yellow onions, peeled and sliced into rings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts of beef stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- Salt and pepper
- loaf of French bread, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss cheese
To serve, ladle the soup into oven-proof bowls (or use a single large oven proof dish), making sure that everyone gets plenty of onions. Place cubes of French bread to cover and than sprinkle with cheese. Bake in 350° F oven for 10 minutes, broiling for the last few minutes to brown slightly.
Secret To A Vibrant And Healthy Lifestyle
That You Can Find Easily At The Comfort Of Your Kitchen.
For More healthy food recipes visit http://theworldmosthealthyfoodsrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/10/workd-most-healthy-foods-recipes-index.html
For the world most healthy foods visit http://healthy-foods-index.blogspot.com/2011/03/healthy-foods-list.html